How to Keep Your Dog Safe This 4th of July

The 4th of July is a wonderful holiday for family and friends to get together and celebrate the independence of our country; however, it’s not the most wonderful holiday for our furry friends. It’s hard to keep track of them and their wellbeing when there is an imense crowd of people, alcoholic drinks lying around, and fireworks and sparklers at every corner. Some believe that it is just best to leave them at home, but others would prefer for them to partake in the festivities. Well, if you are one of those people who like to have your dog(s) partake in the festivities, here are some tips to keep your dog(s) safe during the 4th.

  1. Only apply insect repellant that is safe for dogs to use. A common ingredient found in insect repellant called diethyltoluamide can cause neurological problems in dogs as well as other issues depending on the area of the affected area. For instance, if a dog were to inhale the insect repellant it could cause inflammation in the airway and dyspnea.
  2. Do not leave alcoholic drinks lying around within a dog’s reach. Alcoholic drinks can be threatening to a dog’s health. Alcohol makes a dog weak, delirious, depressed, and has the potential to put a dog in a comma.
  3. Keep glow jewelry out of a dog’s reach as well so one should avoid even putting a glow necklace on his or her dog. Though the luminescent material found in the glow jewelry is not toxic there are still side affects to digesting the necklace. Excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation can develop from digesting the luminescent substance. Intestinal blockage can transpire from digesting the plastic from the jewelry.
  4. Place citronelle candles, insect coils, and tiki torch oil out of a dog’s reach. The ingestion of these candles or oils can cause stomach irritation or central nervous system depression, which can bring about a decreased rate of breathing or decreased heart rate. This is can possibly result in a comma or death. The inhalation of these candles or oils can cause the dog’s lungs to be inflamed.
  5. Matches and lighter fluids should be placed out of a dog’s reach as well. Some matches contain chlorates, which can possibly harm blood cells and cause a dog to breath difficulty. Lighter fluid can irritate the skin, cause stomach irritation, and inflame a dog’s lungs.
  6. Avoid using fireworks and sparklers around dogs. Other than the fact that a dog can be burned by lit fireworks or trauma to the dog’s face or paws, dogs can also be harmed by unlit fireworks or sparklers. Most fireworks and sparklers contain heavy metals and toxic substances.
  7. Also avoid taking your dog(s) to the fireworks. Dogs are easily frightened and disoriented by the powerful and resounding sound. It is better to just keep the dog(s) at home away from the fireworks.

It’s always fun to bring your dog(s) to the parties and have them be a part of the festivities. However, it may be better for the dog and his or her own well being to be left home or kept on a leash since there are multiple dangerous factors to keep up with. I hope this helps you decide what is best for you and your dog. Happy 4th of July!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s